About CICA & the profession

Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants

The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA), in partnership with the provincial and territorial institutes/Ordre is responsible for the functions that are critical to the success of the Canadian CA profession.

CICA, pursuant to the 2006 Protocol, is entrusted with the responsibility for providing

  • strategic leadership
  • co-ordination of common critical functions of strategic planning
  • protection of the public and ethics
  • education and qualification
  • standard setting and communications

Chartered Accountants (CAs)

Vision of Canada’s CAs

Chartered Accountants (CAs) are Canada’s most valued, internationally recognized profession of leaders in senior management, advisory, financial, tax and assurance roles.

Value statement for the CA profession

Chartered Accountants are valued for their integrity and expertise.

Mission for the CICA

Our mission is to foster public confidence in the CA profession by acting in the public interest and helping our members excel.

Learn more about Canada’s CA profession

  • Protecting the public interest: Adhering to high professional and ethical standards is the way the CA profession fulfills its mandate to act in the public interest. It is a mandate that has defined us for over 100 years and one that we take very seriously.
  • What do CAs do?: Chartered Accountants, or CAs, are business professionals who generally work in four key areas. About 40 per cent of CAs are in public practice, while the other 60 per cent are employed in industry, government or education.
  • Become a CA: Deciding to become a Chartered Accountant means you have chosen the role of a trusted professional, known for technical excellence, integrity, objectivity and a commitment to the public interest.
  • Global influence: The Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants helps Canada’s CAs maintain an international voice through the Global Accounting Alliance (GAA) and being a founding member and active participant of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC).
  • Directory of CA firms: This directory lists CAs and CA firms across Canada.
  • Uniting the Canadian Accounting Profession: This is your source for information about the framework to unify the Canadian accounting profession.
  • The UFE: All Canadian-trained CAs must write the profession's three-day Uniform Evaluation (UFE). To pass the UFE, you must demonstrate that you are proficient in the competencies required to begin your professional accounting career.


Chartered Professional Accountants/ Comptables professionnels agréés


Welcome to CPA Canada!

CPA Canada is the national organization established to support unification of the Canadian accounting profession under the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation. CPA Canada provides services to all CPA, CA, CMA and CGA accounting bodies that have unified or are committed to unification.

Our integrated CPA Canada website is currently in development and will launch in fall 2014. Until that time, all our existing resources, services and information are available through the CICA, CMA Canada and CGA-Canada legacy websites, or through newly developed microsites designed to provide specific CPA content.

Bienvenue à CPA Canada!

CPA Canada est l’organisation nationale établie pour soutenir l'unification de la profession comptable canadienne sous la bannière du titre de comptable professionnel agréé (CPA). CPA Canada fournit des services à toutes les organisations comptables de CPA, de CA, de CMA et de CGA qui se sont déjà unifiées ou qui sont engagées dans le processus d’unification.

Le nouveau site de CPA Canada est actuellement en développement et sera mis en ligne à l’automne 2014. Entre-temps, toutes nos ressources et tous nos services sont accessibles sur les sites d’origine de l’ICCA, de CMA Canada et de CGA-Canada, ou sur des microsites nouvellement créés afin de donner accès à du contenu spécifiquement CPA.